Friday, September 17, 2010

The Coffee Shop

"Ah the brilliance of a little cup of coffee" exclaimed Guino after sipping a nice long sip from a hot cup of coffee at his local coffee shop."Nothing like a nice cool day with a hot cup of fine strong coffee" he thought to himself and placed the tip, finished up and left. Once outside he stared up at the sky, took a deep breath of the fresh morning air, and walked slowly towards the park on this glorious day.

A moment or two passed before he realized he was missing his wallet. As he patted himself up and down furiously trying to feel the bulge of a leather wallet in parts where they couldn't possibly be, he figured he must've left it at the coffee shop. "So much for a nice relaxing morning" he thought, and stuttered quickly towards the coffee shop. Once inside, he noticed the place was packed with people. "Aw...this is not good" he muttered to himself, and went right to the window side table where a couple were enjoying a lively conversation with fresh coffee.

"Pardon me, but I think I might have left my wallet here, may I look around if you don't mind"

"There wasn't a wallet here when we came, so the Barista must've taken it away, why don't you check with her"

"Oh ok, fine, I'll ask her then" said Guino with a forced smile, and went quickly to the counter to meet the barista.

This was a bad time to bother her with such issues, she was really busy trying to give the mandatory dose of caffiene that most adults craved for in the morning. However, this being an issue that couldn't possibly wait, he decided to go ahead and ask her anyway.

"Pardon me, I was here earlier, but did you happen to see a wallet lying around on that table right at the end, next to that window"

No response. "ONE DOUBLE SHOT WET CAPPUCCINO" she yelled, and briskly went away to the cash register.

This wasn't going to work, he needed to get her attention first, so he decided he would simply stand in the queue, and when it was his turn to buy coffee, he would simply ask her if she saw his wallet. So he walked to the end of the line, which was filled with dreary looking, sleepy faced zombies, waiting for their morning fix. Patiently he waited, while each one placed an order, and the young lady yelled out their order in a few minutes and came back. This was going to take a while...

Eventually though, he got his turn. "Oh, back so soon? What would you like?" she said.

"I was just here to ask you if you had seen my wallet lying around on that table after I left earlier today morning"

"Oh, I dont think so, so what would you like to have then?"

"Oh I'm not sure you understand, you see the people over there right now said they didn't see one there, and you might have it, do you remember seeing anyone else at that table after I left?"

"No, so you want something or not"

"Well I haven't got my wallet on me, so no thanks" remarked Guino, frustrated, he went back to the table, hoping he could search around this time.

That couple was still in a very animated discussion, in their own world, seemingly cut-off from the noise and chaos of a packed coffee shop.

"Sorry to bother you again, but the Barista said she didn't see anything, I just want to have a quick look around the place if you don't mind"

"Wait what?"

"Oh I was just here a few minutes ago, said my wallet was missing? You had asked me to check with the Barrista, she didn't see anything, so if you don't mind, I'd like to look around"

"Oh, well like I said, there wasn't anything here when we came, so I'm afraid someone might have taken it before we got here"

"Well I'd still like to just look around please"

"Well fine" she said, and got up rather quickly, and in the process, hit her cup with her hand, sent it flying towards Guino's freshly ironed pants, with steaming hot coffee.

"AWWWW" yelled Guino with coffee all over him, this was turning out to be quite the day. The people around him took notice and immediately one of them lent a few napkins, and the man who was at the table came over and said "You alright mate?"

"Fine, fine" he sighed and wiped off as much as he could, but it wasn't much use, it was a lovely deep brown stain all over the front of his nice pale brown pants. He sighed again, as he looked around. He then realized that the lady was nowhere to be seen. "Hmm, thats odd" he thought, and he looked around to see if she was there inside the shop, nowhere to be found. "Aha, you sly little scoundrel you!" he said and rushed outside to see if he could find her. There she was, walking quite quickly, away from the shop.

He ran to catch up with her, startling early morning joggers and office goers as he whizzed past. Once he got to her, he tapped her on the shoulder and said "Where's my wallet??? Awfully convinient of you to pour coffee on me and waltz out eh?"

"What wallet, look I told you I didn't see it, I'm awfully sorry about the coffee, but I didn't want to get into a fight or an argument so I rushed out to avoid you, I know I shouldn't have done that, but I am late for a meeting, and I need to go. Sorry"

"So your accomplice took the wallet eh?"

"What accomplice?"

"The guy you were with, your boyfriend or husband or whatever? Seems like a nice plan to split up so you can get away"

"What boyfriend, I don't even know that guy, he just asked me if he could sit at my table as it was the only seat available so I said yes and we hit up a conversation"

"What? So you have no idea who that is?"

"No, I don't even think I got his name! We just spoke a bit to pass some time" she said

"Damn he must've been the one then!"

Sadly, there wasn't much he could do, he didn't know who he was or where he went, he had to simply call in a complaint and maybe give a vague description and thats about it. He slowly walked back towards the coffee shop, all he could think of was "who the hell steals a wallet in a coffee shop, its no alleyway, what kind of a world do we live in..." and so on and so forth. As he was about to walk past the store, he heard a voice

"Yo dude"

He turned around and saw the man walking towards him, surprised he said "Yes?"

"Yo wallet was on the floor mate, I went to the bathroom to get some water to help you out and you were already gone, I then saw it on the floor, here" and he handed over Guino's wallet.

"Oh, well thank you, I didn't really expect to find it after all that happened, thank you so much"

"No problem man, take it easy"

"Ah,that ended well" thought Guino with a huge sigh of relief, what a morning it has been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home